Date: October 13, 2020
Time: 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm ET
Older adults and adults with chronic conditions, including many people dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid, face increased risk of adverse outcomes related to the flu, including hospitalization and death., Dually eligible individuals are also at greater risk for severe outcomes due to COVID-19.  With a greater risk of infection from COVID-19 or flu this season, flu vaccinations for dually eligible individuals are particularly important. Evidence shows that flu vaccinations decrease flu severity and flu-related hospitalizations.  Additionally, flu vaccination uptake may reduce health care system burden during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Health plans can play a key role in facilitating access to and educating members on the importance of annual flu vaccinations. In this panel discussion, health plans will share promising practices for promoting flu vaccinations, including establishing flu vaccine committees, developing effective communication and outreach strategies with the input of member advisory councils, and partnering with community organizations in vaccination delivery. Panelists will also discuss how they are adapting these strategies during COVID-19. By the end of this webinar, attendees should be able to:
- Identify strategies for establishing and leveraging flu vaccination committees
- Describe ways for gathering member input on flu vaccination outreach and communication
- Identify strategies for messaging and promoting flu vaccination in the context of COVID-19
- Identify opportunities for partnering with community organizations in flu vaccination delivery
- Donna O’Shea, MD; Chief Medical Officer of Population Health, UnitedHealthcare
- Brad Lucas, MD; Chief Medical Officer, Buckeye Health Plan
- Deonys de Cárdenas, RN BSN, JD; First Choice VIP Care Plus Plan Lead, Executive Director, First Choice VIP Care Plus
This webinar is intended for a wide range of stakeholders, including health plan administrators, clinical leadership, care coordinators, and case managers at health plans (including Medicare-Medicaid Plans (MMPs), Dual Eligible Special Needs Plans (D-SNPs), and managed LTSS plans), as well as providers and other health care and community-based organizations who are interested in strategies related to the communication and delivery of flu vaccinations during the COVID-19 public health emergency.